Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bringing "Batmania" to Melbourne (for the kids)

Open House Melbourne is a not-for-profit association that runs annual events providing the public a  free and rare opportunity to discover a hidden wealth of architectural, engineering and historic buildings nestled around the city. Earlier this month they released a creative brief inviting designers and illustrators alike  to help design their 2012 Children's Program with fresh new ideas.

I couldn't help myself. The moment I looked over the brief my imagination ran wild and inspiration punched me in the face so hard my jaw still hurts!

Below is my response to the brief:

(Potential Front Cover, A5 full colour, with space around edges to include appropriate logos)
Concept for Open House Melbourne: 2012 Children's Program

Brief character description and explanation. 
Concept for Open House Melbourne: 2012 Children's Program

I like the idea that the title "Batman, the Busker and Freddie Square" kinda sounds similar to a title of a Harry Potter book, ie. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", I dunno - there's a similar ring there somewhere... 

John Batman is a super significant historical figure in Melbourne's history. Rumor has it there was a time when Melbourne was almost called Batmania! (How cool! - Regardless if it's true or not). Anyway, I figure the name 'Batman' will generate attention anyway cos it conjures up the idea of Batman the Comic Book Hero and I think having the "ghost" character makes it all more interesting for kids. 

The Busker, had to be a chick cos then the characters would be too male heavy and every little girl that potentially picks up this program (if my idea is selected) is gonna think "she's pretty, I like her". 

Freddie Square, obviously named after Melbourne's Landmark Federation Square. He is the "new" to balance Batman's "old". He's small and and cute like Danger Mouse's side-kick Penfold, but not nearly as annoying and stupid, in fact he is to the contrary.   

Regardless of whether my idea gets picked up or not, I think this concept, illustration and execution is mighty fine and I'm damn proud. Defo (totes, fur shiz) a work for the folio.

No comments:

Post a Comment