Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Archibald Portrait Prize Submission - Mark Two!


One lesson learnt from last year's submission - paint someone actually known in the Arts, Letters and Sciences and NOT yourself (unless am actually known and highly regarded in one of those areas..... hmmm, obviously not quite yet).
Learning from my mistakes I chose to approach Richard Moore, Executive Director of the Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF), who has been responsible for overseeing operations of Australia’s largest annual film festival from 2006 - 2010. Being a generous man and a man of good humour who indulges a good coffee, he agreed to sit for me.
Speak Freely

In 2009 he authorized the screening of Jeff Daniels’ controversial documentary 10 Conditions of Love, a film about the Uyghur activist Rebiya Kadeer. The film was shown in the face of intense pressure from Han Chinese activists, including the Chinese Consulate.
My main motivation for approaching Richard Moore was I admired the way he stood his ground in the screening of 10 Conditions of Love despite pressure inside and outside Australia. Australia is a very privileged country to have the right of free speech and I think Australians should be reminded of this. I call the painting Speak Freely as in, "Permission to speak freely, Sir!" and as Australians.... we can!
Speak Freely (detail)
Speak Freely (detail)Speak Freely (detail)Speak Freely (detail)
Click on picture for a larger image
My entry into the Archibald for 2010 was unsuccessful. Which is only a shame because I so dearly wanted to share the painting's message to live and nation wide audience. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed at the outcome. I'm a little bruised and a little battered, but I'm all the more determined too.
Fingers crossed I may be selected for the Salon de Refusés aka. Hidden Faces of the Archibald.

4 comments:

  1. They must have a lot of submission this year again.
    Having said that, I like the painting though! Just treat this as another encouragement for your next submission ya! Oh. Also love the detail of Richard's eyes...very detail and pretty I have to say.
    Irene X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the painting is awesome. I knew who it was as soon as I saw the picture without knowing the answer!!!!!

    You are awesome Miss Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say thank you to you both for your comments, they made meall warm and fuzzy inside.

    PS. I'm dead proud of the eyes. They're a lot more intense when you see the painting and not the photograph. Defo a pat on the back for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on this work! Very impressive. What were the Archibald prize people thinking? It's a honour to see Richard's strength in screening my film has inspired your art. Good luck in your future work.

    ReplyDelete