Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Conundrum In Deed : Band logo design

Conundrum In Deed is an exceptionally talented band based in the UK. Their (beautiful, insightful and exceptionally clever) lyrics are expressed in a musical styling that is a fusion of folk, progressive and psychedelia. So they approached me to design a logo that could concisely represent their music.

Initially I was inspired on the idea of an "impossible object" (cos that to me says "conundrum" right?). So I pitched the impossible cube shape - which they liked. Though their brief needed to include "psychedelia" with amorphous organic intertwining patterns (ie. vines, tentacles and bit o' paisley.)

Bandmate Greg Shields, inspired by the concept of an impossible object then suggested "An impossible cube rusting away in the middle of a psychedelic forest, with bare ground and in the middle of the cube a single 'Holy Flower'* wilting in the middle". *('Holy Flower' being the name of one of their songs).

Following that suggestion is a quick step by step look into how I came up with their final logo design...

Basic outline...
Logo Outline: Conundrum In Deed

...followed by rough colour...
Rough Colour Logo: Conundrum In Deed

...FINAL LOGO!!
Finished Logo: Conundrum In Deed

The band love the logo (WOOT and a pat on the back to moi!) 

Already a fan has commented on their new logo as being:
"The love child of Escher and a tripper at Woodstock" (Tee hee, awesome!) 

To hear some of their music, click here 
(My personal favorite song of theirs is "Laughing Man")


7 comments:

  1. I gained a lot of information reading your post. I really loved it. I'll visit your site more often to keep up.logo design

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm owner of the site Impossible World http://im-possible.info , which is about impossible figures in art.
    I like your work with impossible cube and I would like to add it to the gallery of the site with a link to your blog.
    Could you give me permission for it?

    Kind regards,
    Vlad Alexeev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for permission. I added the logo to the site here

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a nice blog i like it thanks for shearing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is nice tutorial and amazing Custom Logo Design , I will definitely make use of it on my upcoming project. You guys are more humble than I thought. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete