Thursday, May 10, 2012

D'oh! 2012 Paul Guest Drawing Prize... fail.

Below are the two unsuccessful entries I submitted into the 2012 Paul Guest Drawing Prize.

(to see illustrations larger, just click on the image)

Cyclops Mermaid And Ze Unmasked Cat Burglar
Today I got "the letter", you know, the "form" letter that says "Thank you for your entry"... (blah blah blah)... "We had lots of entries this year"... (blah blah blah)... "all of a high quality"...(blah blah blah)... "Unfortunately this year you were unsuccessful in being selected"... oooouch! (that's the sound of being metaphorically punched in the guts. It's the sound of rejection.)

But hey, rejection happens and when you think about it, it's kinda nice that the competition judges sent a letter as courtesy. It's an answer and I have closure. I can appreciate that.....(there's no denying that the rejection still kinda stinks though.)

So back to my sad and unloved entries for 2012. Let's be honest. They're not great. They're not amazing. However I do think they're quirky and original concepts. Sadly these pieces just aren't screaming wicked mad talent! This girl Lucy is ammmaaaaaaazing! ... and that's cool. That's fair. (Ha! Just wait until I am famous!)

Jester Head
The last entry I did for Paul Guest  in 2010, I worked my arse off on that piece. I put my heart, soul and failing eye sight into that piece of work. Hours upon hours of meticulous pencil work... Tragically also unsuccessful in being selected *sigh*. So I guess I kinda decided to go complete 'opposite' in terms of effort this year. Instead, this year I submitted two blue biro pen illustrations I'd conceived subconsciously while talking on the phone! Yay Joe effort!

I'll enter the Paul Guest Drawing Prize again, and next time my entry will be selected, I'm feeling pretty confident on that.

Just a last wee footnote though, the piece I slaved over for the 2010 competition was eventually acquired by the Bendigo Historical Society annnnnnd is currently the most viewed illustration in my flickr account. So not all bad. Not bad at all.

Woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment